Exercise Band Hip Flexion
This is a basic strengthening exercise using exercise band that helps to engage the quadriceps. It is a great exercise for any patient with quadriceps weakness, including post knee or hip arthroplasty, as well as engaging the core.
This exercise is to help to strengthen the quadriceps muscle - a group of 4 muscles that help to control your knee joint in standing, to stop you from buckling. It is the muscle that straightens your knee, and also to control the knee into bending as when you are descending the stairs. This also helps to strengthen your hip flexors and work on core strength.
- Fix the theraband behind you and loop opposite end around your ankle.
- Hold onto a chair for balance.
- Keep knee straight.
- 'Make a muscle' on top of your thigh, then lift leg straight forward.
- Lift only about 45 degrees.
- Slowly return.
- Keep abs tight.
- Do not let your knee bend.
- Do not lean forward at the waist.
- Do not sway.